Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Former Actor Kyaw Hein banned from delivering religious talks in Pegu

Credit: Irrawaddy News Magazine

Former Burmese Actor Kyaw Hein, now a Buddhist monk, was banned from making religious talk in Pegu.

Kyaw Hein, the most popular actor in the Burmese film industry, surprised fans with an announcement that he will retire in October, 2008, to become a Theravada Buddhist monk.

A vegetarian for the past several years, Kyaw Hein said he will enter the monkhood in November, and he plans to visit more than 100 townships to deliver religious talks, in a sort of farewell tour which will extend into 2009.

The 61-year-old actor disclosed his decision at a press conference on September 2, in which he thanked journalists for writing about him during his 40-year career. The entertainment press gave the superstar’s announcement respectful attention, although some questioned if he was right for the role of an ascetic monk.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

In my life , he is my best teacher . Because I was taught by his good movies . I will never forget him . And I want to see him in Myanmar and I want to listen his Dhamma in person .

Post a Comment